Muench Pharmacy: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia of Des Plaines
No edit summary
No edit summary
 
Line 4: Line 4:
|[[File:Muench Drugs 1963.jpg|thumb|left|420px|1963 advertisement]][[File:Muench Pharmacy.jpg|thumb|left|440px|1978 advertisement]]
|[[File:Muench Drugs 1963.jpg|thumb|left|420px|1963 advertisement]][[File:Muench Pharmacy.jpg|thumb|left|440px|1978 advertisement]]
}}
}}
[[File:Muench receipt.jpg|frameless|left|450px]]
[[File:Muench receipt.jpg|frameless|left|450px]]{{clear}}
==A history of Muench Pharmacy==
<center>written by the [[Chamber of Commerce]], 1984</center>
 
Muench Pharmacy is currently a retail pharmacy dealing in prescriptions and health related products, including some sundries. Emphasis is placed on patient health care. We try to bridge the gap between the physician and the patient so that the patient understands their therapy and how to best follow their doctor's orders to improve their health.
 
Muench Pharmacy was started by A.E. "Ernie" Muench in 1923, at the corner of Ellinwood and Center. Ernie moved up the street on Center for a short time, and soon thereafter moved to 688 Lee Street where he would stay until his retirement in 1957. Ernie raised his family in Des Plaines and many of todays Des Plaines parents remember visiting Ernie for one of his fountain ice cream delights! Ernie sold the store to Jerry Baldridge in 1957. Jerry Baldridge kept the business alive and well for fourteen years until 1971, when he sold out and moved to California. Under his tenure, the store's emphasis switched to pipes and different pipe tobaccos and supplies.
 
In 1971 the store was purchased by Michael Rasnak who owned the store for about five years until he lost it to foreclosure in March of 1976.
 
Lag Drug Company, wholesaler of that time, took over the store and tried desperately to find a new owner. Their problem was that most of the clientele had left, the store itself was disorganized and the inventory was in a shambles. With these prospects at hand, George Garfinkel convinced Lag Drug to give him a chance, three years out of college, and with a great desire to be his own boss. George took over the store on April 1, 1976 and began to negotiate a lease at {{LinkToMap|700 Lee Street}} so he could remodel, expand and give the business a new identity. In September of 1976, after a summer of little business, no air conditioning, sandblasting across the street and a growing loan, he moved into the new store and the business finally started to grow.
 
In September of 1977, George purchased the business of Jerry Hynes whose pharmacy files and inventory was a great help. The store has been growing and changing ever since its inception and hopefully will continue to grow and change for another fifty years.
[[Category:Drug stores and pharmacies]]
[[Category:Drug stores and pharmacies]]
[[Category:Lee Street]]
[[Category:Lee Street]]

Latest revision as of 15:41, 20 July 2026

Muench Pharmacy was at 688 Lee Street. It moved to 700 Lee Street in 1976.

1966 advertisement
1963 advertisement
1978 advertisement


A history of Muench Pharmacy

written by the Chamber of Commerce, 1984

Muench Pharmacy is currently a retail pharmacy dealing in prescriptions and health related products, including some sundries. Emphasis is placed on patient health care. We try to bridge the gap between the physician and the patient so that the patient understands their therapy and how to best follow their doctor's orders to improve their health.

Muench Pharmacy was started by A.E. "Ernie" Muench in 1923, at the corner of Ellinwood and Center. Ernie moved up the street on Center for a short time, and soon thereafter moved to 688 Lee Street where he would stay until his retirement in 1957. Ernie raised his family in Des Plaines and many of todays Des Plaines parents remember visiting Ernie for one of his fountain ice cream delights! Ernie sold the store to Jerry Baldridge in 1957. Jerry Baldridge kept the business alive and well for fourteen years until 1971, when he sold out and moved to California. Under his tenure, the store's emphasis switched to pipes and different pipe tobaccos and supplies.

In 1971 the store was purchased by Michael Rasnak who owned the store for about five years until he lost it to foreclosure in March of 1976.

Lag Drug Company, wholesaler of that time, took over the store and tried desperately to find a new owner. Their problem was that most of the clientele had left, the store itself was disorganized and the inventory was in a shambles. With these prospects at hand, George Garfinkel convinced Lag Drug to give him a chance, three years out of college, and with a great desire to be his own boss. George took over the store on April 1, 1976 and began to negotiate a lease at 700 Lee Street so he could remodel, expand and give the business a new identity. In September of 1976, after a summer of little business, no air conditioning, sandblasting across the street and a growing loan, he moved into the new store and the business finally started to grow.

In September of 1977, George purchased the business of Jerry Hynes whose pharmacy files and inventory was a great help. The store has been growing and changing ever since its inception and hopefully will continue to grow and change for another fifty years.